Mrs. Solve's Web Page
Daves Avenue Reading Specialist
Literacy Programs at Daves
Students meet in small groups to focus on specific literacy skills through sequential and systematic instruction. Skills typically include: phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, comprehension, and vocabulary.
Typical Daily Schedule
- Re-read books from book bag
- Phonemic Awareness Warm-up
- New Skill or Letter Sound in Isolation
- Apply Skill or Letter Sounds to Words
- Apply new Skill or Letter Sounds to Reading a new Story
- Comprehension, Vocabulary and Reading Strategy instruction
- Apply new Skill or Letter Sounds to Spelling
Students are assessed throughout the reading program and exited when they reach LGUSD reading benchmark levels.
Computer Based Phonics and Sight Word Practice
using Lexia software
- Lexia is designed to improve a child’s ability to read words quickly and accurately.
- Students are placed in a level that matches their ability and increases in difficulty as they work.
- Students practice important literacy skills through specially designed games and activities.
- Students are assessed throughout the reading program and exited when they reach LGUSD reading benchmark levels.
Computer-Based Fluency Program using QuickReads
- QuickReads is designed to improve a child's ability to read nonfiction text with fluency. Fluency is the ability to read accurately with proper expression, phrasing, and rate.
- Students are placed in a level that matches their current nonfiction reading level.
- Students read increasingly more difficult levels of nonfiction text as their reading fluency improves.
- Students understanding is continually assessed through comprehension questions to build the habit of reading for meaning.
- Students are assessed throughout the fluency program and exited when they reach LGUSD reading benchmark levels.
Click here for helpful literacy resources for students and parents